Headaches and Migraines: How Physio Can Help
Headaches and migraines are extremely common and they continue to be something we are seeing often in the clinic.
Let’s talk headaches
Headaches and migraines don’t discriminate. They can affect anyone at any time and they definitely are not pleasant. Did you know that there are more than 300 different causes for headaches? There are also many different types of headaches and in some cases a person can suffer two at the same time.
The difference between a headache & a migraine
Another important thing to distinguish is the difference between a headache and a migraine. A migraine is a type of headache. They’re extremely severe and can make you feel nauseous, cause disturbances to your vision and make you sensitive to noise, light and, in some cases, odours.
This debilitating form of headache can start with numbness or tingling in your hands or arms and can be accompanied by skin that is painful to the lightest touch. Migraines leave most sufferers bed ridden for a substantial period of time.
Don’t ignore these signs & symptoms
We must note that there are significant signs and symptoms associated with headaches that must not be ignored and we strongly recommend seeking medical attention if you experience any of the following:
- accompanied by memory loss or motor weakness
- associated with symptoms like fever
- that is markedly different to your previous headaches
- that has a sudden and severe, ‘thunderclap’, onset, and
- that is recurrent and persists in those over 50.
Accredited by the Watson Headache Institute
The good news is that physiotherapy can assist with identifying the cause and then managing the pain for headache and migraine sufferers. Progressive Sports & Spinal Physiotherapy are an accredited by the Watson Headache Institute.
In our experience, many headaches and migraines are caused by structural issues, including a neck disorder or physical and emotional tension.
Is your headache:
- accompanied by neck pain?
- eased by pressure to the base of the skull?
- does the pain radiate from the back to the front of your head?
- paired with dizziness or light-headedness?
- always on the same side of your head?
- persistent, despite ruling out all other causes – such as allergy or eye-strain?
An assessment from the team at Progressive Sports and Spinal Physiotherapy can determine if your headache or migraine is caused by your upper neck and the associated muscles.
- Gentle hands-on physiotherapy can help ease your symptoms.
- Poor posture can lead to neck disorders that cause headaches.
- Education is a key step to avoid headache and migraine triggers.
- At home exercises can help keep headaches and migraines at bay.
Don’t put up with headaches & migraines any longer!
Headaches and migraines can be extremely debilitating. If you or a family member is experiencing severe or regular headaches, don’t wait – get help from an experienced physiotherapist.
You can be confident our qualified and highly skilled physiotherapists will do all they can to get to the source of your pain and bring relief. Call Progressive Sports and Spinal Physiotherapy today on 47217798 or email: [email protected]