If you’re a sufferer of recurrent headaches and migraines, you’ll know just how difficult they can be to deal with, let alone treat.
With more than 300 different types of known headaches, getting to the bottom of that horrible, throbbing head pain can often be a long & tricky road for so many.
We’re accredited by the Watson Headache Institute
Here at Progressive Sports & Spinal Physiotherapy, we are proud to be a practice accredited with the Watson Headache Institute. This is a key institution in Australia led by Dr Dean Watson, who are passionate about spreading the word that many headaches and migraines are caused by neck disorders.
We encourage you to click on the link above to learn more about what Dr Dean Watson & his team have discovered through extensive research about how the neck can be a primary cause of your headaches and migraines.
Cervicogenic headache is the medically known term for ‘neck headache’. These headaches are purely secondary, usually occurring as the result of a neck joint problem.
Here are some of the symptoms of a classic, cervicogenic headache:
– Tenderness at the base of the skull
– Neck stiffness or loss of movement in the neck
– A headache that radiates from the back of the head to the front
– A headache that is irritated by movement of the neck
– Your headache is usually ALWAYS on one side (the same side)
– Your headache sits behind the eye/over one side near the brow bone
– Throbbing head pain
– Throbbing when coughing or sneezing
– And occasional facial pain on the affected side
What causes cervicogenic headaches?
Usually, the primary cause of a neck headache is a dysfunction in the upper neck joints, nerves or muscles. As an example, this could involve disc or joint trouble. This pain is then interpreted by the body as a headache.
The Watson approach to headaches
Yes, you heard correctly! Your neck may be the main reason for your ongoing headaches. The Watson approach to headaches:
– Is medication free
– Gets to the root cause of your headache
– Has a long-term record of success
– And many patients see improvements quickly
How are cervicogenic headaches diagnosed in the practice?
When you come to the practice, one of our experienced physiotherapists who are accredited with The Watson Institute will listen and understand your headache history. They will then take you through a thorough assessment process. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to ask as many questions as you like.
Once we have confirmed the diagnosis, we will then:
– Talk to you about the best treatment options
– Perform some hands-on treatment for immediate relief
– Create a personalised program for you
– Suggest exercises for you to do at home, in your own time
– Give you strategies and tips to minimise your headaches
Get help sooner rather than later
We know just how debilitating and exhausting headaches and migraines can be. They can affect your job, your family life & of course your health. If you or a family member are experiencing ongoing headaches, don’t hesitate to contact the practice with any questions that you may have before booking in an appointment.
With many of our patients already leading headache free lives after years of ongoing headaches, know that our highly experienced physiotherapists can get to the source of your headaches and bring your relief, quickly.